Temporomandibular Joint Disorders
What is TMJ/TMD
Chronic facial pain — pain in or around the ear, tender jaw, clicking or popping noises when opening the mouth, headaches and neck aches — may arise from many easily identifiable and treatable causes, including a sinus infection, tooth decay or gum disease. But sometimes the source is more elusive … and it may be TMD, a group of often painful disorders affecting the jaw and chewing muscles.
What Causes TMJ?
- Trauma to the head or neck
- Oral habits such as clenching or grinding of the teeth
- “Bad” bite or missing teeth
- Malalignment of the upper and lower jawbones
How Is TMD Treated?
Reversible or temporary treatments for TMD include arthocentesis (lavage), stress-reducing exercises, muscle relaxants, mouth protectors to prevent teeth grinding, soft foods, heat/ice packs, and avoidance of extreme jaw movements. More extensive treatments may take the form of correctional surgery or pain-relief injections, although surgery may aggravate the problem and is therefore not usually recommended.
- ” Dr. Turley and his staff are top-notch. Always gentle and very thorough. They discuss not only the problems but every solution to fix them and tailor it to you. They make you at ease. They take the time to get to know their patients and make you feel like family.” – M.P.
- ” Dr. Turley and everybody in the office are absolutely amazing, helpful, and kind they are so gentle and understanding. Best dentist ever! – A.J.
- ” Dr. Turley and his whole staff are the best. I always feel like I am with friends not just at a dentist appointment. The building is comfortable and inviting even though it is a dentist’s office. Absolutely the best dental team around. Thanks” – J.B.
Contact Our Team
If you are considering Temporomandibular Joint Disorders, Please contact our dental team or call 541-548-5105 about valuable information regarding dentistry, dental problems and treatments. Serving the Redmond and surrounding communities, Dr. Brandon L. Turley is confident that you’re working with doctors and other professionals who are qualified, experienced and caring.